TMJ Treatment Thousand Oaks
Temporomandibular joint disorders are believed to affect between 5 and 12 percent of people. It most commonly strikes women in midlife, but it can affect anyone, including men and children. If you think you have TMJ, our Thousand Oaks TMJ treatment expert can help.
Recognizing the symptoms is the first step. Our expert in TMJ treatment in Thousand Oaks may recommend further testing if you have symptoms that include:
• Facial pain, which may be focused near the jaw or radiate towards the rest of the face
• Pain in the jaw or ear, which may feel more like an earache
• Chronic jaw pain, which may worsen when you bite, chew or yawn
• Pain that occurs when you open or close your mouth
• A jaw that locks open or closed
• A clicking, popping or grating sound or sensation, which will usually be accompanied by pain, discomfort or a popping or grating sensation
• Earaches, neck aches and headache
An accurate diagnosis will usually require a physical exam and a medical and dental health history. We will ask about your symptoms and any recent changes in your physical or dental health. We will also perform a dental exam, during which we will check your bite and examine your jaw. Because the symptoms of problems with the temporomandibular joint can mimic other dental issues, we may recommend diagnostic imaging to rule out those other problems and identify any structural irregularities.
Thousand Oaks TMJ Treatment
If you are diagnosed with a problem in the temporomandibular joint region, our Thousand Oaks TMJ treatment expert will recommend treatments that can include:
• Conservative treatments such as rest and a soft diet
• Pain medications or anti-inflammatory drugs
• Cold or warm compresses
• Oral splints to combat bruxism
• Orthodontic treatments to correct bite problems
• Cortisone or other injections
In most cases, our patients are able to achieve significant relief with conservative care. However, some problems may require more invasive treatment options. Our goal is to provide you with lasting, effective relief. Call us today to learn more about your treatment options or to make your appointment with our expert in TMJ treatment in Thousand Oaks.